Monday, October 13, 2014

Mahi Mahi with Organic Quinoa and Brown Rice and Kale Salad

Here is tonight's dinner.  First off, I am a fan of Whole Foods frozen Mahi Mahi which is $9.99 for 2 pieces and with the $2.00 off Whole Foods coupon in the Whole Deal magazine which is good through 11/30 you can stock up and have fish now through November for an affordable price ($7.99 for 2 pieces).  I usually squeeze lemon in my fish, cut up a few lemon slices and place on top and season with a lemon pepper salt mixture.  Mahi Mahi = $3.99 serving.

I also tried this Quinoa and brown rice ($3.49) I got at Whole Foods last week.  I had a coupon from coupons.com for $1.50 off so this bag of rice cost me $2.49.  This bag  of rice made 4 meals,  .62 a serving and it was good.  



The warm Kale salad I made last night was so amazing I made it again tonight as a main side.  I had half a plate of Kale plus more!!  It is so good!!!!






KALE SALAD WITH WARM CRANBERRY ALMOND VINAIGRETTE

3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 cup dried cranberries
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
juice and zest of half a lemon
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 bunch kale, very thinly sliced
1/4 cup sliced almonds
(optional) 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese or goat cheese


Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add shallot and saute for at least 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Then add cranberries, red wine vinegar and lemon juice and zest, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, toss the kale with olive oil and an extra pinch of salt, and massage kale with your fingers for 1 minute until tender. Add in the cranberry/shallot mixture and almonds, and toss to combine. Serve topped with crumbled cheese if desired.

This cost me $23.50 total and I will get 7-9 salads - $3.35 per serving!



No comments:

Post a Comment