Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Paleo Cabbage Soup-YUM!

So my mom gave us a huge ham at Christmas which was totally awesome!  I knew right then I would get at least 3-4 meals out of it!  We ate regular sliced ham last week and froze 2 bags + 1 bag to munch on in the fridge.  I googled Paleo leftover ham and found this recipe = Paleo Cabbage Soup w/ leftover ham!   Score!

Here are the fresh items I used along with the ham that I chopped (not pictured).  I used yellow onion and red onion since that is what I had on hand.

 
1/2 head cabbage;
 
2 TBSP Paleo cooking fat; (I used coconut oil)
1 onion, chopped; (I used 1/2 yellow and 1/2 red)
1 bell pepper, chopped;
2 carrots, chopped;
1 lb cooked ham, cubed;
2 cloves garlic, minced; (I used 3)
2 bay leaves; (I skipped this as I was out)
8 to 10 cups homemade stock; ( I make my own /freeze it, very handy when you need it)


Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large saucepan over a medium-high heat melt the cooking fat. Sautee the onions and garlic in the cooking fat for 5 to 7 minutes, just until the onions are translucent and tender.
Add the cabbage, bell pepper, carrots and ham and toss with the onions and garlic. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, frequently stirring to prevent anything from burning or sticking to the bottom of the pot.
 

Pour in the stock with the bay leaves. Allow the soup to come to a simmer and cook partially covered for 35 to 45 minutes. Season to taste with freshly cracked black pepper, but taste the liquid before adding any salt, as the ham will most likely give off enough saltiness on its own.
Remove the bay leaves and serve.  ENJOY!
Just a hint...since you only need 1/2 the head of cabbage save it for tomorrow's dinner!  I serve my Boston Butt shredded on top of Shredded Cabbage!  Just put the Boston Butt in the crock pot while at work all day and it's done when you get home!  Easy &  Delish!
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment